Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The process of recreational writing

In my tenure as an educator I have encountered numerous varied examples of the written word and responded in like kind.  Most of this was quite technical because of my specialization in the industry and technical fields.  Sense retirement I have become interested in what I've dubbed "recreational writing".  In preparation for this post, a superficial scan of Wikipedia was conducted to verify my terminology for Recreational Writing.  Perhaps I should be using Creative Writing as the category for my work as it can technically be considered any writing of original composition.  I liked the further clarification of creative writing as a composition of any type of writing at any time primarily in the service of such needs as:
1. the need for keeping records of significant experience,
2. the need for sharing experience with an interested group, and
3. the need for free individual expression which contributes to mental and physical health.

I like that third need as I contend most of us could stand a little help with our physical and mental health.  In working on my two books I got tremendous pleasure in seeing them come together.       The first book, "Unique Vessels:  How Do You Make Those Things", was more of a creation by the numbers.  I outlined and photographed each step in the construction of one of my vessels.  There was related material in the front of the book dealing with the history of development of this type vessel and a number of pages at the end that gave technical information on materials and processes.  The Mexican Bird of Paradise bush provided the wood for my vessel.  The image below shows the bird-like shape of the finished product.  It was a thrill to see the completed book and vessel.
                                                                           
























The second book was a different experience entirely.  This was the first volume of my
autobiography,"Which Road Should I Follow? Volume 1, Growing Up In The Country".  It has been published and is out on book shelves now as I work on "Volume 2, Roles And Responsibilities Of An Educator"  To write a story that chronicles your progress through life is an awesome experience, one I wouldn't trade  for anything.  The sensation of remembering details, such as sounds, smells and people from that time long ago is reward enough if the book doesn't succeed.  The cover of Volume 1 is shown below.


























*An inproved, new format.  Be watching for further news from Apatchablue Studio.  Questions and comments are welcome!

No comments: