Monday, April 20, 2015

Home with Tom


Easter was coming and time for spring break.  Tom had invited me to his home and I had accepted.  I was interested to see his part of Washington State before my college days were completed.  Tom was giving several students a ride over the mountains to their homes.  We all contributed to gas money which made it easy for everyone to afford the trip.

One of the students was a girl that Tom must have known quite well as he teased her all the way.  She was a good sport about it and got back at him.  The conversation was lively, so time went quickly.  I recognized the landscape over the Cascade Mountains by way of Snoqualmie Pass.  There was snow on the mountains and along the highway on top of the pass.  When we reached the summit everyone required a rest stop and a snow ball fight ensued.  The exercise and cold snow alerted us for the rest of the trip.

Descending the pass and approaching Seattle brought us to where Tom had turned south and let me off to hitch hike the previous year.  It all seemed familiar, but I was glad I wasn’t getting out there this year. The highway ran along the low land between the mountains and the ocean.  We were too far inland to see the ocean, but the Puget Sound cut inland at Seattle and was insight as we drove down highway 99 past Tacoma.  The Sound ends in the area of Olympia which I recall from my Washington State History class, is the state capitol.  We got magnificent views of several major mountain peaks along this stretch of road.  The most spectacular and closest to us was Mt. Rainier and the others, Mt, St Helens, Mt Hood, and Mt. Baker, all visible as it was a clear, sunny day.  They were all dormant volcanoes.  As we traveled south from Olympia, Mt. St Helens became closer.  We looked intently to see if we could detect steam coming from the mountain.  If we looked hard enough our eyes would manufacture make-believe steam.  It was evident that the mountain had been a volcano.  It had the cone shaped outline with an open crater at the top.

We traveled further south passing Centralia where Tom said he attended the junior college. My Washington State history book said it was one of the oldest junior colleges in the state. The next town, just a few miles down the road was Chehalis and not much further we turned off the main highway and drove back into the wooded hills past Mosyrock to Silver Creek.  A beautiful lake stretched around between hills creating what looked like a popular recreation area.  A dirt mountain road led to Tom’s home.  It was an older house with a number of out buildings.  His mom, a pleasant woman of around fifty welcomed us in and after introductions, invited us to come to the table for supper as she called it.  I hadn’t heard that term for some time.

Tom asked where his Dad was and was told he was doing repair on the tractor.  We went ahead with supper.  I could see Tom was upset that his father hadn’t welcomed us.  When his Dad did come in, he seemed unaware that supper had been called and he was late.  He was a good sized man, slightly bent from hard work.  Salem was his name. He gave the impression he wouldn’t take any back-talk from anyone.  He acknowledged my presence and commented on my height.  The rest of the evening passed with generic conversation.  Tom tried to tell his father about the things he was doing at college, but got minimal response.  Tom tried to drag me into the conversation and I made several attempts to visit. At one point Salem began a discussion about how the tourists were ruining the country around the lake.  Eventually we all decided it was time for bed.  I felt relieved for a break from the forced conversation and gladly followed Tom to my bunk for the night.

Tom seemed cheerful at breakfast and proceeded to lay out a plan for the day.  Mrs. Plant had a large farm breakfast ready for us and we approached it with gusto.  Tom wanted to show me around.  It had been raining during the night, so Tom decided to use the four wheel drive pick up.  He got the keys from where they hung next to the cook stove and we climbed on board.  The property was beautiful with huge evergreen trees scattered liberally across the landscape. Some of the more open areas were being farmed.  Tom was obviously proud of the place and he told of the many hours he had spent helping his Dad clear and work the soil.  Tom had lost half of his middle finger on the right hand in an accident with a piece of machinery.  He loved to joke about it and used the stub to jab people when he wanted to emphasize a point.  You can imagine other unique finger signals he always introduced in a conversation.  Tom told me he had plans for the property when he inherited it.  Tom was an only child, so it was likely he would receive the property.  He said he wanted to develop a camp ground on the wooded part of the land.  With the lake near by it seemed like a natural.   Tom confided he hadn’t shared this plan with his Dad primarily because of his negative attitude about campers.

We spent several restful days running around the area, visiting points of interest.  The drive along the lake was one of my favorite spots.  We went into Mossyrock and Tom pointed out Les Greer’s home.  We wondered how he was doing in the service.  It was interesting how similar my growing up in the country and the love I had for the ranch was to Tom’s situation, only very different geography.  As the end of our marvelous retreat from reality approached, Tom suggested we go to a dance in nearby Chehalis.  I agreed although I didn’t have any dancing clothes at that point in our outing.  I had one white shirt that had been worn and was a mass of wrinkles. 

The dance was in a large hall with a live band and several hundred people, mostly high school and junior college age.  Tom knew a number of them and introduced me to them.  He was doing well securing dance partners, so I got my nerve to ask one of the girls standing along the side of the dance floor to dance.  To my dismay she turned me down.  After my motivation to approach that girl, I moved down the line and asked another girl with the same results.  This was a tremendous defeat and I decided I was finished asking for a dance.  I wondered what was wrong with me.  I had to admit my wrinkled clothing could have been the problem.  Looking around at the crowd I realized I must have looked like a giant to them.  Tom was shorter than a lot of the kids at Eastern, but here he was taller than most.  Why, I wondered did this community have so many short people?  Without an answer to that question I decided to wonder outside while trying to heal my bruised ego.  There I found several other fellows who had stepped out for a smoke.  They struck up a conversation and that took my mind off my dance disappointment for a minute or two.  That had to be the most embarrassing incident for me since I did the race across the gym as a high school freshman to get a candy kiss from the cheerleader.  Eventually Tom came and suggested we leave for home.  We were planning to get an early start for Eastern the next morning.                                                                            
                                                                                                                  
Tom was up before me and I heard a heated argument between he and his father.  By the time I arose and picked up my belongings, Tom was back in the room steaming about his father’s claim that we had damaged the pickup when we took it around the farm that first morning.  Salem was no place to be seen as we had breakfast, and loaded our things into the car.  I thanked Mrs. Plant for the hospitality and she gave me a big hug.  Tom got a hug also with a plea for him to forgive his Dad.  Tom grumbled for quite a few miles, but eventually he must have taken his mom’s advice and returned to his jolly self.

The remainder of spring quarter went by rapidly.  Tom was so involved in graduation and student teaching that I didn’t see much of him even though we were room mates.  He went into the service immediately upon graduation and it was four years later that we saw each other again.                 

After a number of years Tom’s Mom and Dad had passed away, leaving the farm to him. Tom and his wife moved into the family home.  Tom built a campground on the property as he had planned.  After operating it successfully for a number of years he planted a Christmas tree crop and after the trees matured, harvested the trees for several years.  Tom must have taken his mother’s advice and forgiven his Dad as the dirt mountain road to his home was officially named Salem Plant Road.

*Taken from "Which Road Should I Follow?, Volume 1, Growing up in the country", an autobiography by Edwin K. Hill.

No comments: