Sunday, April 26, 2015

What's New?

The sun was warm, but a slight breeze kept it comfaortable as I walked up the street to the college.  I recalled how many times this trip up the hill signaled the start of a new year, a different quarter, or the start of a new chapter in my life.  Everything usually looked familiar with hardly a noticeable change, but this time it was different.  I think the change was in me rather than the campus.  My recent September Experience at Custer County High School had impacted me more than I ever would have guessed.  It was a glimpse into what lay ahead for me when I finished the Eastern program of study.  I had kept my head down, thinking of one quarter at a time.  This was my home stretch. 

This was just a start of changes that became evident, as I checked into Sutton Hall.  My room mates had deserted me.   Les was still in the service and after his graduation last spring, Tom also joined the service.  Jerry had dropped out to work, but after thinking it over he went into the service also.  I was able to locate Dewey and asked him if he’d like to room with me.  That was the start of an even deeper friendship that lasted long past college and teaching jobs.  We had so much in common including our teaching Industrial Arts.  We chose a two man room with a study area across the hall used by several other two man rooms.  This arrangement became a meeting hall and useless as a study space, so we set up study tables in our room.  It was crowded, but provided the quiet study space.  The other option would have been to go back to a four man room with a self contained study space, but neither of us wanted to start with two new roommates.               
                                                                    



















Dewey pretending to study for the photo.   He’s not near sighted                                                                                                                                                       
The college hired a new president that year.                                  
The college annual described this change as:
                                                                                                                                            A new president . . .
A new administration . . .
A new fresh outlook and spirit at Eastern.
The annual was dedicated to him as:

To Dr. Don S. Patterson:                                                                           .     
          The new president of the college who brings to his position a wealth of experience in the field to which this institution is devoted—education, and who has injected into the atmosphere of the college the fresh, impartial qualities of his own success . . .                                                                                                                                                          

We respectfully dedicate the 1955 Kinnikinick.


                                                                                                                               























                    Dr Don S. Patterson

I’m not sure if he was credited for the emphasis on education in the college name.   Previously, it had been Eastern Washington College, but it appeared this year as Eastern Washington College of Education on all college materials.  It seemed like a good change to me, as that is what we studied here, and I was proud to be a part of that profession.  I supported the idea that a new attitude and spirit had invaded the campus.  As one person put it, "this new spirit is often seen and even more often felt.”  Among things that changed this year was the name for “New Dorm”.  You have to admit New Dorm isn’t much of a name for such a major building.  It sounded so temporary.  What happens if another dorm is built which would be newer?  The Eastern Board of Trustees, honoring Louise Anderson, college instructor since 1915, changed the New Dorm name to Louise Anderson Hall.

Louise Anderson Hall remained a women’s dorm and campus cafeteria.  I wondered if after I taught for forty years a building would be named after me.  Starting in 1956, I would have to teach until 1996.  I don’t think that will happen.  There are many ways I can advance and move to other educational responsibility.  Ms. Anderson is to be congratulated for her years of service and having a major college building named after her is appropriate and fitting.

The new faculty on campus brought youth and vigor into classrooms and social halls.  They enhance interest and study through their recent professional outlook.  Their intent to assist and guide the student body contributed a new note to campus life.  There was a new spirit at Eastern Washington College of Education.  It was exciting to be a part of it and proud of my college.

The majority of my classes that fall quarter were serious education methods courses again.  Even the Industrial Art courses were focused on curriculum and the history of Industrial Arts.  My P.E. course dealt with the organization and administration of physical education.   The only light hearted offering I had was Furniture Construction- Two with Mr. Killin.                  



















Each year the senior class chooses a senior girl to fill the role of Eastern’s
official hostess, Sacajawea.  This year we chose JoAnn Holladay whose       appearance and warm personality complemented the role of hostess at many events throughout the year.            
                                                                                               
As basketball season approached Red worked to sharpen players for conference play.  Ellis and Enos had graduated and would be missed for their scoring and hustle.  Bill Ellis’s height and rebounding won him the “Inspirational Player” award while Earl Enos was voted “Honorary Captain” by the team.  He had functioned as the floor captain in many of the games.  The absence of Fletcher Frazer left me as the lone tall player from last years team.  Dick Edwards returned as last years top scorer.  Four other returning lettermen finalized the core. Several transfer players and a number of freshman ball players made up the rest of the team.

*Taken from "Which Road Should I Follow?, Volume 1, Growing up in the country", an autobiography by Edwin K. Hill.



No comments: