Sunday, March 15, 2015

Away To College


If I were to evaluate life changing events, attending college many miles from home and family had a profound effect on me.  Up until this time I was able to maintain membership in our family unit.  We were very close.  Even when Mary graduated from high school and enrolled in the community college she was still in the same building as Dorothy and me.  We all took some classes together such as music.  When I graduated Mary was well on her way to teaching in the rural public schools and Dorothy had years to go at CCHS.  It seemed we all went in different directions at that point, but my life at Eastern Washington College was so busy I didn’t have time to realize it.  It caught up with me as the Christmas Holidays approached.  It had always been such an important time for all of us to get together and enjoy the Christmas traditions.  I guess I was showing my feelings more than I realized, so when the coach offered to let me go home for a few days over Christmas I jumped at the chance even though it put my spot on the team somewhat in jeopardy.
So much happened during those four years it has taken about 85 pages in my book to mention the highlights.  My, the world had changed or was it just me?  



*Taken from "Which Road Should I Follow?, Volume 1, Growing up in the country", an autobiography by Edwin K. Hill.

No comments: