When cool and solid the plaster mold was chipped away from the resin head. The babies head was cleaned and set aside. Modeling the boys head had to be scaled large enough to accommodate the baby head in the same mold. Do you see the pattern evolving; model the head, cast the mold on it, melt out the wax, suspend the previous cast head in the mold, cast the resin of the next head around it, remove the mold, etc. I thought I had a winner and could hardly waite until that last cast of the old man came out of the mold and was polished up. To my dismay the three heads inside didn't show up clearly even though I had used a different colored resin for each of them. The main problem was the many wrinkles in the old mans face distorted the inner images. I tried focusing a light on the head from different angles which helped a small amount. Below are photos of the head in different poses. You be the judge. The baby is in dark brown, the boy is in red and the man is in blue.
I would like to try this project again and use very smooth stylized heads or similar objects. I have also thought of casting each object so that they protrudes at different amounts below the base. Light travels through cast resin and highlights the edges. If light was concentrated on one objects end at the base it would in theory highlight that objects edges.
Well, as they say,"back to the drawing board". Ideas are welcome on this unsolved project and credit will be noted to those who solve it.
E-mail is: firstname.lastname@example.org
Website is: apatchablue.com