Friday, May 15, 2015

Introduction-Volume 2

Volume 2 starts with a new chapter in my life; I enter the world of work as a first year teacher, as a husband and hopefully, as a father.  Establishing a home is a rewarding and shared task that requires new skills and knowledge.  As a review of how I reached this point, Volume 1 of “Which Road Should I Follow?” subtitled “Growing up in the Country”, has traced my roots in the Hill and Wilder families.  Accounts of my childhood start with first memories of life on Grandpa’s dry-land ranch and continue through seventh grade in a small country school.  The move to Miles City, Montana for continuation of education through high school triggered questions of what profession should I plan to pursue.  

The ranch life has been a pleasant experience for me with increasing responsibilities but also an awareness of the ranch's limited opportunity as a successful job cite.  As I experienced more education, a desire to continue learning became more important.  When given the opportunity to attend college on a basketball scholarship, I didn’t hesitate even though the college was a long train ride from Miles City.

My four years at Eastern Washington College of Education determined my professional goal and equipped me to enter the field of education.  As this story unfolds in Volume 2 , my opportunities for new roles and responsibilities as an educator expands, presenting me with numerous, ongoing decisions as to my professional development.  You could argue, I didn’t always choose the right road, but at the conclusion of my professional carrier I am satisfied with the results and proud of my role in Education.

*Taken from "Which Road Should I Follow?, Volume 2, Roles and Responsibilities of an Educator", an autobiography by Edwin K. Hill.


No comments: