Monday, March 16, 2015

First Job at College

A letter arrived for me from Eastern Washington College.  It was from Red Reese, the letter I had been expecting.  When I talked with him last spring he indicated he wanted me to come early and he would find me work on campus.  His letter suggested I come on campus the first of September.  The football players would have their first work out on September 12th and he had lined up temporary work for me until my regular work, a janitor’s beat in the field house, started.  I replied that I would be arriving on campus as suggested.  The summer was rushing past too fast.

I did some work on mom’s water system that provided running water at the kitchen sink with much less chance of problems or high maintenance, and  I started organizing things I needed to take with me.  It was frustrating to guess at what I would need, not knowing for sure what I’d be doing.  There were last minute things to do around the ranch and then it was September.  The goodbyes were hard, but filled with love and support.  I was going to miss my family.

The train ride gave me a chance to review the events of the past summer.  The rhythm of the wheels on the rails also reminded me of that first trip to Cheney and the new world exposed to me there.  It became hard to isolate my feelings about the abbreviated summer from the expectation of this very moment, my ride into the future.

It was still daylight when I arrived at the Cheney depot.  After gathering my bags I trudged up the hill past Red’s house and into Sutton Hall.  I found the hall manager and got my room assignment.  It was a four man dorm with a study area in the center and sleeping quarters on either side equipped with two man bunks.  The other three fellows would be coming in soon as they were football hopefuls.

My next stop was at EWC’s Showalter Hall where the administration offices were housed as well as some classrooms, labs and the college auditorium.  I had been told to see Marion Surbeck, the director of student employment for information about my temporary job.  Mr. Surbeck was helpful and explained the job in detail.  One of the resident facilities, Hudson Hall had been resurfaced with a shingle material during the summer and the job had been finished, but scrap material had to be picked up and hauled to the dump.  I would have one other student helping me and a truck and tools would be at our disposal.  “You can drive a truck? Mr. Surbeck asked.  I assured him I had considerable experience on my grandfather’s ranch in Montana.  The job started the next day and what seemed to me to be a mountain of paperwork needed processing before I could work for the college.  As I worked on the pages of required information Mr. Surbeck explained how this job and the other work I would do for the college would be credited to my account.  Tuition, books, room and board would all be drawn from this account.  He said the reimbursement was calculated to cover all these expenses with a small margin for unforeseen costs.  He showed me a map of the college where the truck and tools could be picked up.  When all forms were filled I received copies of every thing and a card that identified me as a EWC student.  Also, important was the meal ticket issued in my name.
                                                                                                                           
Hudson hall was military type barracks as seen here photographed during the following winter.  The new siding cleaned up the look of the outside of the building, but inside it had tired plywood walls and smell of an old building.  In earlier history, Hudson was established as a dormitory for both men and women.  Currently it was used to house veterans and married couples.












The vehicle we were to use was a big Reo dump truck.  It had a two-speed rear axel and other controls not found on our old Chevy truck.  The fellow in the shop where we picked up the truck gave us a five minute lesson on how to shift and operate the dump controls.  The student who helped me had no desire to drive the truck, so I was chosen to drive.  We gathered our tools and put them in the truck.  My moment of truth had come.  I climbed up in the truck cab and it felt and looked as if I was setting on top of the world.  After a little experimentation I got it in gear and we rolled out onto the street.

Siding scraps were everywhere.  I can’t imagine how the workers got scraps scattered all over the lawn, unless they were playing Frisbee with the bigger pieces.  Our job was to load it in the truck and haul it away, so we began.  It took several days to pick up every scrap and load it in the truck.  Each evening we took our load to the dump.  We crossed the railroad tracks and headed west past the depot for a mile on a bumpy dirt road.  Dumping our load was done by following the instructions listed next to the controls.

We finished the cleanup job and were assigned to a crew moving furniture around campus.  In a sizable enterprise such as a college there always seems to be furniture on the move.  Mr. Surbeck was pleased with our work and shifted me to my regular beat in the field house.  He had me contact the regular janitor for instructions and then a tour of my assigned area followed.    Mr. Surbeck indicated it looked clean now and my responsibility was to keep it looking this way.   He noted when the football work-outs started in a day or two there would be plenty of work to do, so the best use of my time now was to meet with the janitor and become familiar with the tools and chemicals used.

Two of my three roommates had moved in as football practice approached.  They were both from small towns on the coast of Washington.  I got a kick out of the names of the towns, Mosey Rock and Silver Creek.   These towns were in a logging area and Les Greer, a freshman from Mosey Rock looked like he would make a fine football player after throwing logs around all his life.  The other room mate, Tom Plant from Silver Creek was a sophomore transferring in from a two year college on the coast.  Both of these fellows and I became good friends and we spent many hours together in college and after graduation.  




















In this picture taken outside Sutton Hall, some of my friends got together for a Sunday afternoon photo shoot.  Tom plant is squatting in front with me on his left while Les Greer is standing on the right behind Tom.  Standing behind me is George Kalb, our fourth room mate.  He and a number of other students transferred to Eastern when North Idaho College closed at the end of last year.  George was a sophomore.  The other fellow standing between George and Les was just a friend that got in on the photo. Les made the football team at the guard position, but Tom did not survive the cut.  In those days the Eastern athletic teams were known as the “Savages”.  This mascot changed after I graduated, a victim of political correctness.  The teams are now known as the “Eagles.”

*Taken from "Which Road Should I Follow?, Volume 1, Growing up in the country", an autobiography by Edwin K. Hill.

No comments: