Monday, March 30, 2015

Moving In Different Directions

Time came for Mary to move to her school.  Grandpa and I went along to help her with the move.  I don’t recall her having had a great many belongings.  It seemed as if we drove some distance to get there and I imagine Mary must have felt it was the end of the earth.  The school house sat alone on the side of the road without a ranch house in sight.  We learned later the school was constructed so it could be skidded to other locations as the demographics of the country changed.  This enabled the school to be placed near where children attending lived. 

It seemed like such a lonely location and I felt bad for my sister as we drove away, leaving her there alone.  If anyone could make a go of it, Mary would.  This was another very obvious indication that our family was moving in different directions now.  In a few days I would leave for my second year of college and Dorothy would be starting her sophomore year at Custer County High School.

*Taken from "Which Road Should I Follow?, Volume 1, Growing up in the country", an autobiography by Edwin K. Hill.

No comments: